Journal of Adolph G. Rosengarten, Jr. - December
- Tulips in Hardy Border planted today.
- New dog run, S.W. of cutting garden finished.
- A.G.R. JR. gave a sniff dinner at The Philadelphia Club. 27 present.
- Gaston & Isabelle Arteuille terminated employment here as of 30th Nov.
- Rainfall to date 51.1" : Excess above normal 14.5".
- Vick's Wildgardens planted 100 Blood root on edges of vista & mertensia accross stream.
- 180darwin tulips pink, lavender, planted in hardy border. Plan in file.
- J.N.R. hostess Garden Club of Phila. at Chanticleer: about 50 attended.
- Upper Bank Nurseries completed replanting area above hardy border. A wygelia moved, an abelia put in its place and a holly (penduculosa) planted.
- 100 mertensia plants in bank above curve in stream S. of drive planted.
- Bickers transplanting 2 oaks & 1 nyssa to area S. of folly
-After six weeks, Magargee Brothers finished painting outside of Minder House.
- An extremly mild fall so far! Cleaning up at lower part of the place.
-Beginning the evening before, 11" of snow by 7:00 A.M. first of the year.
- A good rain, 1-1/2"
- Nine clumps of tulips planted in flower beds.
- Pruned dead limbs off Red Oak near porch, I'm afraid it is dying.
- Thanksgiving snow all gone.
- Seventieth Birthday Party for C.P.R. (postponened from 28th Nov.) given at Chanticleer tonight. Much gayety.
- A row of the white horse chestnuts planted on Church Road.
- Harold & Marion Fry moved back into Minder House.
- A.G.R. Jr. & Morris W. Stroud to Oakland: returned w/ only 28 quail. Drought.
- A good rain: ground frozen.
- Demolition of bird shed at 786 Church Road begun.
- John & Bertha Muller arrived. $90 an month plus carfare.
- Patsy put one ton of mixed fertilizer on the lawn.
- Three American Hollies planted today. Two on Brooke Road & one N.W. of house.
- Double trenching of flower beds A and B.
- War. J.N.R. at Chanticleer for weekend and A.G.R. JR. at Ft. Benning, Ga. Felt Lonely and far apart & wished they were together.
- A.G.R. Jr. put Manure on "new" hardy border etc, but did not have enough to go around.
- Three & twenty-nine one hundreths acers, lying W. of Minder House purchased today from Edw. T Stuart
- Planting at gate re-done: various new shrubs put in & old ones removed.
- Cold snap. Temperature 18°
- John C. Lee painted outside of house & garage. Not a perfect job.
- Blasting of rocks on Brooke Road.
- 6 Bald Cypress & Corylopsis sinensis, & 1 Magnolia sieboldii, W. of Drive in swamp.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. moved back to Minder House.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 3 days at Oakland Club with 34 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 4 days at Oakland Club with 47 quail & a woodcock.
- Tulips planted in flower beds A & B.
- S. Goodman, first guest came for dinner. Currituck Duck & pre-war claret.
- Prepared for winter. Porch furniture put in room over garage, wood in cellar, and curtains put on car.
- Native white oak (seedling) in lawn. E. of Garage at end of swale.
- Spinelli delivered 1-1/2 tons of manure. However the ground is frozen and covered with snow.
- French Furniture Class from Main Line School Night at Chnaticleer: about 15.
- Frederic & Margaret Smili left our employ. Leo & Susannah Quinn (@ 125.00 per mo.) entered it. Their prospects of remaining looked very poor.
- JNR & AGR Jr began this afternoon the herendous task of cleaning up the giant property.
- The Master (Elect) of Rhodes House (Bill Williams) & Gillian his wife arrived today on their tour of the U.S., Canada, etc. for a three day visit.
- Beginning at 11:30 cold, snow which continued for 24 hrs & totaled 12"
- Elm tree, N.W. of house on Stuart line & four Austrian Pines on line near stream. Planted
by Wm. H. Doyle.
- AGR Jr. left for Thomasville, NC for 4 days quail shooting. Floyd A. Potteiger pinted floor of upstairs sitting room red during this week.
- The Elm tree planted in 1933 taken out last summer a/c Dutch Elm Disease. To be replaced next spring with American Linden & to shade porch in Evening.
- Trip to Princeton cancelled a/c blizzard.
- A.G.R. Jr. (w/ Hank & Tanna Wilson) returned from Oakland: greeted by a good rain.
- Record cold (9°) for this day.
- The Rosengarten Lounge in College Herald at U. of P. dedicated today.
- Luther Walton, and the first team, completed second of two catch basins with pipes running to the stream: between Brooke Road & bridge & west of drive.
- Water staircase by water wheel completed by Luther & Co.
- Red oak tree, N.W. of porch, to shade west end of house planted by Thomas.
- Very bad snow storm began at 1:30 PM. Both cars in town & both had to be abandoned. We returning by train about 8:30. Slippery rather than depth of snow was cause.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 5 days at Oakland w/ Hank & Tanna Nielson. Snow on ground 3".
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Oakland Club with Morris Stroud, M.D. 65 quail & 4 wood cock.
- Nicholas Newlin spent the night, being the first to do so.
- Peter Rosengarten married to Eva Khayatt of Cairo at St. James.
- Although still a few frills to be adjusted, all mechanics & artisans incl. painters, carpenters, plumbers, other craftsman finished at Minder House.
-First snow of the winter: 4"
- A.G.R. Jr. and J.N.R. at Thomasville, NC for three days quail shooting. Very cold weather and poor shooting.
- Holly outside dining room window moved to corner W. side of drive & replaced with a styrax japonica.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Oakland : 32 quail in 3 days.
- 8" to 9" of wet snow fell early A.M. Damage to trees worst in years.
- Dinner at Chanticleer upon quail which AGR Jr. brought back.
- Nini & El Borgerhoff for two days: they left on Sunday 19: x11:48 to spend Christmas with his parents in Florida in my car.
- Dinner Dance for Christine Goodman before the Assembly.
- Seven canoe bark birch trees planted cor. Brooke Road, Harrison property.
- Six broom, two dogwood "elegantus" planted N. bank of "folly".
- Roberts Harrison & AGR Jr. returned from 4-1/2 days at Oaklan dw/ 60 quail.
- Very cold, 6° at 7:00n AM. Beggining at 9:00 PM it began to snow. Full which continued until 4:00 PM on the 19th. reported to be 10" to 12" deep.
- Borge, Nine, the three girls, Lid & Tad here for lunch.
- Beginning about 7:30 AM snow which amounted to 8-9" by 4 PM.
- Planting from Styer's Nursery on Brooke Road. Consisted of 3 Clethra alnifolia, 5 Lonicera fragrantissima & 3 Rhodo maximum
- A.G.R. Jr. HRN JR. & J.N. returned from 3 days at Oakland.
- New lights for steps & fore-court installed.
- Chinese varnish tree from Moore's Nurseries planted by Pont cinquantaine. Cold 9° at 7:00 AM. This tree did not break spring 1956, so was removed.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Princeton for pre-Christmas function w/ the Borgerhoffs.
- Nini Borgerhoff with her three girls & the Kidawas came for pre-Christmas lunch.
- Cold snap 14° at 8:00 AM. Skating at Mill Dam.
- Borgerhoffs (all 5), Kidawas for "Xmas" dinner. Nick & Margaret could not come b/c fog at the last minute.
- Borgerhoffs, Kidawas, Nick, Margaret & James Newlin for the 1st time came to Sunday lunch.
- Along severe cold spell. At 7:30 AM 4°, defeciency since Dec 1st - 181°
- Five Borgerhoffs here for lunch
- Nini Borgerhoff with her three girls and the Kidawas came for lunch.
- Borgerhoff (4 plus Rick), Kidawas, M. Newlin & 7, Strouds, 2, AGR Jr. Buffet dinner.
- A.G.R. Jr. landed at Phila. Airport at 10:00 AM for six day Christmas leave.
- The Borgerhoffs (all four) down from Princeton, NJ with whom their gathered the Kidawas and N. Newlin for "Christmas" dinner.
- A.G.R.Jr. returned from Oakland, shooting (bad weather) with Samuel Patterson.
- The Sims family party here tonight. Twenty-eight sat down for dinner on the porch which was specially enclosed & heated for the occasion. During the cocktail period, total present including babies, 38.
- Cold month w/ def of 131° so far.
- The family party here tonight. Thirty-one sat down for dinner.
- Heavy snow began at 7:30 AM & by daylight Christmas had reached depth of 18".
- Very warm.
- Cold. Snow on ground, so no touch football.
- Cold but no snow on ground. Weekend spent cleaning up wood pile.
- At noon it began to rain and continued thru the night. Very slushy but not all of the snow of Dec 18th washed away.
- A "White Christmas" as snow of Dec 11th has melted very little: a cold Dec.
- A "White Christmas"; snow began late Dec 23rd, total 6" to 8": driving bad.
- 68° set a record high for the day. Jacksons (3) & Patterson (5) here for cold supper.
- Yesterday's snow heaviest since 1912: No one at Chanticleer but family for lunch.
- Because of C.P.R.'s failing health family lunch reduced to Jacksons 7 ourselves.
- Alter flowers in Church in memory of E.P. & C.P.R. A.G.R. Jr. usher at 8:00AM.
- At 7:30 AM temperature - 4°F
- Johnny, Wendy, J.D. & Jenny came for dinner.
- Snow from the 19th still on the ground. First cold weather of the winter, 12° at 8:00AM; very clear.
- A.G.R. Jr. & Edward Goodman to Oakland Club for 2-1/2 days quail shooting.
- A.G.R. Jr. & Edward Goodman to Oakland Club for 2 days quail shooting.
- Rosengarten family Christmas: 5:30 to 7:30 PM w/ bar & buffet. 50 people attended.
- Following wedding of Benji R. Nielson & Meta Grace recetion at Chanticleer. About 50.
The first heavy snow of the winter, about 6-8": it remained on the ground till mid-Feb.
Rosengarten family Christmas luncheon at Chanticleer, attended by 43. Delay from Dec. 25 explanied by refusal of Jimmy Duffy to work Dec. 25.
Newlin's -6- Borgerhoffs -4- Kadawas -2- & Rs 2 for dinner.
First snow of year. Very light. Fell in early morning.
Left at 9:15am for Washington. via Eastern Air Lines for Atlanta & Columbus, Georgia. All too short.
12° at 6:45am, windy but very clear. First winter this season.
Nini Borge & the 3 girls came down from Princeton for the night.
Edward T. Goodman's engagement to Penny Cutler announced.
Rosengarten family "Christmas Luncheon" at Chanticleer, attended by 40.
Nemlinfamily dinner at Minder House, fourteen in all.
Nini & Beth Borgerhoff after spending the night to Shipley Farm for lunch.
Newlin family Christmas party at Minder House. 5 Borgerhoffs, 4 Nemlins, 2 Strouds.
Cold weather continues. 10° at 8:30am. 6in snow began at 1:00pm.
Patsy took down tulip poplar (diseased) which was S of cutting garden.
AGR Jr. & JNR went to New York for a two day spree despite the blizzard of a few days before which tied up all traffic.
All furniture in modernized up-stairs sitting room except pictures.
Five Borgerhoffs & Two Kidawas came for lunch today.
Despite a very severe winter, excess temp. for year was 300°. Deficiency of rain 2.5in.
Temp. deficiency for month 152 deg. Excess rainfall for the year 5.92in. Temp. excess 16 deg.
Temp. excess for month 100 deg. Deficiency rainfall for year 1.82. Excess temperature for the year 193 deg.
Deficiency for month 16°, but annual excess 325°, annual deficency of 3.01 in rain.
Excess temp. for month 36 deg., but annual excess 610°; Annual excess of rainfall 6.31in.
Deficiency for month 55°, but annual excess 524°. Annual excess of rainfall 4.99in.
Phila papers discontinued giving data. Following taken from N.Y. Times: Excess temp. since
1/1/40 = 408°; rainfall for year 45in. which is +1.86 from normal.
Excess of both temp. & rainfall, but especially the latter.
A very warm and an extremely dry year.
N.Y. Times normal aver. annual temp 53.4° w/ '54 at 54.3. Rainfall 38.09" of 42.03" avg.
Excess temp. for year 289°, but deficiency in rainfall 9". (Normal- 42") Phila Inquirer.
A cold December. Deficiency for month -200°; Excess rainfall for year 6.73in.
Excess temp. for year 443°; deficiency in rainfall 2.67in.
At 6:45AM temp -2°; Deficiency for the year -680°; rainfall +.9"
At 6:45AM temp. 0°; Deficiency of rainfall for year 7.5"
Rainfall for year 29.88"; deficiency 12.60": This year second driest on record 
Rainfall 29.34", deficiency 13.05; Excededs '65 record. Also below normal every month.
Rainfall 40", deficiency 2.35"
Rainfall 44.5"; Excess 2.5"
Deficiency in rainfall 7.25"
With 6.89" of rain in December, normal of 42.39" exceeded by 0.63"
Deficiency of rain 3.31"; total for the year 39"
Nini Borgerhoff and the three girls for lunch; Excess of rain for the year 5.5"
Excess rainfall for the year 7" +.
Normal rainfall 39.53". Excess this year 11.59".
Rainfall deficiency 6.60" in.
Annual normal rainfall 39.83": this year 49.38" = 9.4" excess.
Excess rainfall 6.32"
Normal for year 39.83": excess 12.96"
Excess rainfall for year 0.60"; A.G.R. Jr. from Oakland (2 rainy days out of 4) with 20 quail. Guest was Sam Patterson.
Despite drought in July & August, rainfall in Dec. of 7.3", excess for year of 13"
Excess rainfall for the year 2.33"
Rainfall deficiency 3"
Wednesday - Sunday
10am - 5pm
Early Openings in 2017
The garden will open at 8:00am on
May 6th, June 3rd, July 1st, August 5th,
September 2nd, and October 7th. .
News & Events
Mother's Day News
Due to anticipated large crowds, there will be no picnicking on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 14th.
The Art of Gardening
The Art of Gardening, is available at book sellers everywhere, including Amazon.
Chanticleer In the News
High praise from
The New York Times,
Chicago Tribune, Garden Design,
St. Catharines Standard, and FlipKey by Trip Advisor.