Journal of Adolph G. Rosengarten, Jr. - February
- Heavy snow fell. Lasted until March 5th.
- J.W. Bickers began transplanting to make room for new garden. Some laurel is fill in planting at entrance but most material is nursery.
- Pantaleone Antrilli entered our employ as a gardner: three days per week.
- James & Amy Fear entered our employ.
- Nini Borgerhoff, two daughters & three Princeton professors fere for the night after attending "The Doll's House" at the Univ. of Penna.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. returned Oakland where we had Teen, Ray Hayworth: 2 good days only.
- George & Anita; Chas & Rita; Penny & Sam: Sherry & Porter from State Store, Brandy XXX de Luge; Wagner # 7.
- Thaw, but still pleanty of snow.
- At 7 AM it was -5°; 15 consecutive day when max temp. never above 32°.
- A.G.R. Jr. & JNR returned from Oakland: five days with Ray and Teen Hayworth: 22 Quail R's & 16 Hayworths.
- At 6:30 AM it was 0°; this was coldest day since 1948.
- Cold continues w/ defeciency since Jan. 1st -311°. Snow beginning about 11:30 AM.
- Still snow. No work done.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Saranac. A heavy rain which did not clear off the snow enough & where it froze later made the driveway very bad.
- At 12:05 AM today. J.N.R. & A.G.R. Jr. sailed on S.S. Statendam for a cruise in the West Indies. We touched at Puerto Rico, Martinique, Barbados, Trinidad, La Quirna (Venezuela), Curcoa, Colon, Jamaica, & Havana.
- Snow stopped at 1:30 PM w/ fall of 11-12". For first time in 17 days temp. above 32°.
- Janet Newlin Rosengarten died at the age of 71.
- After four days in Criminal Division Common Pleas, on his retrial, Charles E. Godfrey plead guilty.
- A blizzard which began 10:00 PM on 5th and continued until 8:00 AM on 7th, dropped 14" to 18" of snow. Worst in 30 years.
- Still cold: snow and ice on ground.
- Still warm. Dug drainage ditch, on Stewart line from stream toward road.
- The second blizzard of the winter began at 3:00 AM about a foot of snow, very cold.
- A.G.R. Jr. submitted to the Hist. Dept. U. of Pa. his thesis for a Ph. D.
- Skiing on Montgomery's Hill. Slow.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Princeton to see Nini Borgerhoff's new house
- Pantaleone Antrilli entered our employ as a gardner: three days per week.
- Departure of A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Oakland: delayed from 7th by blizzard.
- Coldest day I have ever known. At 12:005 AM the temp. was 8° below zero; at 7:00 AM it was 18° below zero.
- More snow.
- Mandes & Co. (under suppervision of Farrow) began demolishing old walls to make way for new garden. Work stopped w/ snow of Feb. 15th.
- Dinner of 22 at Chanticleer for David & Cynthia Le Roy-Leurs.
- Some what warmer; after two weeks of frost. Ice from swimming pool about 9" thick.
- Light snow, but some thaw during day.
- Christine Penrose Goodman born at 7:45 AM.
- A.G.R. Jr. given The Main Line Award at the Wayne Lions Club Charter Night Dinner at the Old Covered Wagon Inn, Strafford,Penna.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned (via Hertz Drive it a/c railroad strike) from Oakland. H.R.N. Jr. at ux. where there too: they had 32 quail, I had 70.
- A.G.R. Jr. from Oakland w/ John & Basil Heath. Escaped from worst blizzard in S.C. in a hundred years, but brought back 68 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Oakland after two weeks: HRM Jr. at ux first week, Teen & Ray second week. My swan song. Poorest shooting ever: 12 quail.
- -1° at 7:00 AM. A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. flew to Oakland Club for 4 days shooting.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Oakland: Weather was bad all three days there.
- 0° at 7:30 AM. David Le Roy-Leurs here & off to Oakland in AM.
- Worst blizzard on record: 23" of snow.
- Saturday: Rainy, so that the furniture got waxed with Jackson's "Patina"; occupying us over the week-end.
- J.N.R. motored home in a blizzard from Washington D.C. accompanied by Ensign Cornelia C. Newlin. The A.G.R. Jrs. said good-bye to one another at 15th and L St. Washington at about 7:30 AM, Dolph jumped in a cab and departed in the darkness for the air-port and parts unknown. Telephone call later that evening revealed he was in New York for the night, presumeably grounded by bad weather. (Entered by J.N.R.)
- First thaw of any consequence since Xmas 1947.
- 1" snow bringing total this winter to 49". record of 55.4" of winter 1898/99 still stands.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from 5 days at Oakland: good shooting.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. returned from Oakland: fair shooting but thoroughly enjoyed having Ray & Teen Hayworth with us there.
- Continues cold; snow flurries last night. J.N.R. & I go on a restricted wagon tomorrow, being Ash Wednesday.
- Coldest winter since 1917. Twenty-sixth consecutive day that there has been snow on the ground and since first of year, there have been twenty-one days during which temperatures remained below freezing.
- Spinelli Bros. breaking up boulders in pile on Brooke Road this week by air drill & dynamite.
- 0° at 6:30 AM. Much snow still on ground.
- Early snow changed to rain in PM & the following ice storm did great damage to trees & shrubs.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned from Oakland. One day late a/c snow. After week with Teen & Ray Hayworth. Shooting poor & only 10 quail.
- Some thawing in afternoon, but it turned cold when the sun set.
- Weather continues about normal, which is quite warm. Compared to last year.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Oakland Club Pineville, S.C. with Cookes.
- Heavy rain today but much snow from Jan. 29th still on ground.
- Temperature defeciency since Feb. 1st to date is 144 deg & since Jan 1st, 220 deg.
- Cable from Adolph as follows: "A.P.O. 887. Love Adolph" gave proof of his safe arrival in the British Isles.(Entered by J.N.R.)
- AGR Jr & JNR left hurridly for Palm Beach, Fla. on account of the illness of A.G.R., Returned Feb 25th, '46.
- Highest temp. today, 73°, a record for the day. Very warm weather continues.
- A.G.R. Jr. & V.S.R. to St. Croix, Virgin Islands.
- Clear warmish day. JAmes O'Brien & I piled wood that had been cut this winter.
- Wet snow, about 2" in all, fell today. First real snow of the year.
- 16" snow reported is to be the heaviest since 1922. Work to come.
- A.G.R. Jr. to Oakland for four days quail shooting.
- After a week at Oakland w/ David Le Roy-Leurs, who flew to St. Kitts on 15th, JNR & AGR Jr. returned with 45 quail.
- A.G.R. Jr. returned fromOakland. Poor shooting with only 15 quail.
- Snow still on ground, though there has been some melting. Richard reports that the frost has penetrated 8 inches into the ground.
- At 6:30 AM, it was 0°.
- Pipes in third floor bathroom at Chanticleer burst early AM, Living room flooded & damage extensive.
- At 7:30 AM, -10°.
- Beginning at noon. A wet snow fell. Depth at 6 PM about 5"-6".
- A.G.R. Jr. & JNR home on ten day leave from C.B.S. Ft. Monroe, Va.
- We have spent the most recent week-ends untangling the tangles on new area.
- A.G.R. Jr., J.N.R., H.R.N. Jr. to OAkland Club for five days. It rained some part of each. Shooting fair & we returned with 32 birds.
- Snow, about 6". Some still on ground on March 6th.
- Very heavy snow storm: 16+"
- Excess temp. since first of the month 125°; defeciency since Jan. 1st 2.22 in. Started to snow at 7:00 AM & fell until 2:30 PM to depth of 8-10 in. Spent PM clearing off drive: it warmed up during the afternoon & melted some.
- Snow beginning at noon reached a depth of 12 in. by 10 AM the 21st.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. to Chicago to stay with Murphy's till Feb. 24th.
- Height of cold spell which followed snow of 16th Feb. Defeciency since Feb 1st 172°.
- Warm; some melting but plenty of snow left, particularly in the drifts. Rain in the PM, turning to snow toward midnight.
- PRior to this morning, the snow af Jan 24th was still on ground where it had drifted. Starting at 9:00 AM, wet snow fell till 7:30 PM. Depth 3 to 4 in.
- Clear with cold North wind. Average temp 23°. Slight thaw in direct sunlight. Defeciency of temp. since Feb 1st, 207°, since Jan 1st, 286°.
- Clear, cool, but neither snow nor frost on or in the ground. J.N.R. & I to Andorra Nurseries.
- We returned from the West Indies on a bitterly cold & windy day. Which was a severe change from the tropics.
- A.G.R. Jr. commissioned Major A.U.S.
- A.G.R. Jr. (with Hank & Tanna Nielson) returned from Oakland: 90 quail.
- During this week, Upper Bank Nurseries planted large hemlock on Brooke Road W. of sruce. Swamp magnolia below poplar to E. of that point: moved laurel from bed by stream to road just E of drive: two yews on bank W. of drive & three white pines N.W. of house in woods w/ two cherry laurel in front.
- Jennifer, born Nov. 3rd 1979, arrived from Knoxville, Tenn. "Pembroke Welsh Corgie"
- Very cold.
- Moderate thaw of snow that fell. Washington's Birthday.
- Slight thaw.
- A.G.R. Jr. & J.N.R. returned after 4 days at Oakland with Ray & Teen Hayworth. A/C extreme cold, poor shooting: A.G.R Jr. w/ achillies tendon trouble.
- Temp. 12°; at 11:00 AM it began to snow, continuing throughout the day.
- 3 truck loads of top soil added below lower stone wall of "New Garden" to level area designed for 3 new cutting beds.
- Am. Hawthorne (Cratagegus cordata) planted below new rose beds: & Ky. Coffee tree at Rush's house.
- Snow continued. Official depth 7.4"
- Rain, quickly changing to sleet, & later to snow in early evening.
- Thaw continued yesterday & today. Roads now clear but pleanty of snow still on ground.
- Geo. D. Rosengarten, Ph. D. buried today. He died Feb 23rd after a long illness.
- A.G.R. returned 9:30 PM from 4 days at Oakland: two splendid & two poor. 24 quail (plus 8 to Gadsdin)
- End of the coldest month on record. Defeciency for month 328°. Precipitation ?, Snowfall 18.1"
- Defeciency of temp. 23°; precipitation 3.12in.
- Excess temp. for month 57°: since Jan 1st 337°: precipitation since Feb 1st 1.66in.
- Packard Convertible Six bought today; turned in the Buick. Excess for month 92°; precipitation 6.02in.
- Excess temp. for month 148°; precipitation 6.02in.
- AGR Jr. returned from hospital.
- Despite cold & snow in first 15 days. Excess temp. for month 11°: Def. for year 241°
- Third coldest Feb. in XX Century & sixth since records kept. Defeciency since Feb 1st 193°, for year 339°
- First wet month in past fourteen: Excess rainfall since 1:1:66 1 inch.
- Samantha Waring Goodman born in New York, N.Y.
- Much melting, the strem unusually high. End of a very unpleasant month: temperature defeciency since the first 185 deg. and since Jan 1st 264 deg. Precipitation 3.46in.
- Still snow on ground, but melting. Temp. excess since Feb 1st 23°: defeciency since Jan 1st 193°. Defeciency of rainfall since Jan 1st '40 2.87 in.
- A real old fashioned winter with much snow on the ground. Temp. for month was just average but defeciency since 1st Jan - 151°.
- Upper Bank Nurseries completed, as far as the culvert from Harrison's pond, the dry wall along Brooke Road.
Closed for the Season
The garden will open for the
2017 Season on Wednesday,
March 29, 2017.
Early Openings in 2017
The garden will open at 8:00am on
April 1st, May 6th, June 3rd, July 1st,
August 5th, September 2nd, and October 7th. .
2017 Season Passes Now Available
Purchase 2017 season passes before March 29 at the 2016 rate .
News & Events
March 27, 7pm
The Wayne Art Center
413 Maplewood Avenue
Wayne Pa, 19087
Aaron Bertelson presents
The Great Dixter Cookbook
Free of charge, seating is limited.
For more info...
The Art of Gardening
Chanticleer's new book,
The Art of Gardening, is available at book sellers everywhere, including Amazon.
Take a look at the journal of
Adolph G. Rosengarten, Jr. as he recorded the happenings of the day.
Chanticleer In the News
High praise from
The New York Times,
Chicago Tribune, Garden Design,
St. Catharines Standard, and FlipKey by Trip Advisor.