Welcome to ChanticleerWithin 30 minutes of Philadelphia, Chanticleer is one of the great gardens of the region. We celebrated two anniversaries in 2013 - our centennial as the Rosengarten estate and 20th year as a public garden. Come discover why London's Financial Times calls us "planted to perfection."
The Chanticleer Story
The Chanticleer estate dates from the early 20th-century, when land along the Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad was developed for summer homes to escape the heat of Philadelphia. Adolph Rosengarten, Sr., and his wife Christine chose the Wayne-St. Davids area to build their country retreat. The family's pharmaceutical firm would become part of Merck & Company in the 1920s.
The Rosengartens hired architect and former classmate Charles L. Borie to design the house, which was completed in 1913. Landscape architect Thomas Sears designed the terraces as extensions of the house. A 1924 addition converted the summer home into a year-round residence and the family moved here permanently.
Mr. Rosengarten's humor is evident in naming his home after the estate "Chanticlere" in Thackeray's 1855 novel The Newcomes. The fictional Chanticlere was "mortgaged up to the very castle windows" but "still the show of the county." Playing on the word, which is synonymous with "rooster," the Rosengartens used rooster motifs throughout the estate.
Adolph and Christine gave their two children homes as wedding presents. They purchased a neighboring property for son Adolph, Jr. and his bride Janet Newlin in 1933. It is now the site of the Ruin. Daughter Emily's house, located at today's visitor entrance, was built for her in 1935. It is presently used for offices and classrooms.
Adolph, Jr., bought his sister's portion of the estate following her death in the 1980s. He didn't move into the main house, but used it for entertaining and kept it as it was when the family lived there. The house is open for tours by reservation. Adolph, Jr., left the entire property for the enjoyment and education of the public following his death in 1990. A nine member Board of Directors, six of whom are Rosengarten relatives, oversees The Chanticleer Foundation. The garden opened to the public in 1993. There are 20 full-time staff, of whom two manage facilities and 14 are gardeners and groundskeepers.
Wednesday - Sunday
10am - 5pm
Early Openings in 2016
The garden will open at 8:00am on
April 2, May 7, June 4, July 2,
August 6, September 3, and October 1 during the 2016 season.
Full Parking Lot
Our parking lot holds 120 cars and can fill on weekends. Please car pool and understand once we reach capacity, we will ask you to return another time.
News & Events
The Art of Gardening
Chanticleer's new book,
The Art of Gardening, is available at book sellers everywhere, including Amazon.
Take a look at the daily entries of Adolph G. Rosengarten, Jr. as he recorded the happenings of the day.
Woody Plant Conference
The conference will be held at
Scott Arboretum on
Wednesday, June 29, 2016.
For more information see the
Woody Plant Conference website.
Chanticleer In the News
High praise from
The New York Times,
Chicago Tribune, Garden Design,
St. Catharines Standard, and FlipKey by Trip Advisor.